Monday, August 28, 2006

Mail Call


I was expecting a UPS delivery of a "prescription" of happiness I ordered. I think the "doctor" is the "Hi Everybody!" Doctor Nick from The Simpson's, and we've never actually met, but so far, he's never refused me anything I've asked for. Basically, I've found that you can get almost anything by prescription if you hunt hard enough.

What I wasn't expecting was my camera to be delivered as well so that was a happy surprise. Coincidentally, I noticed a ridiculously cheap sale on a digital media card. It meant a trip to the hated Best Buy, but saving about $45 made it tolerable. It's a 1GB card so even at the 5 megapixel setting on the camera, it stores over 600 pictures. Considering I've never taken more than 50 at a time that should be plenty. The camera arrived in good working order. Now I've got spare charger cords, software and USB cable as well. Should come in handy if my chew-happy dog strikes again.

Also not expected today was my new ID to come in the mail. Last year on a trip home I was shunted to a suspicious character line because my ID had expired. That was the trip I had borrowed The Hellcat's luggage. The luggage that then tested positive for explosives. Don't ask. It ended up to be pretty funny. I also couldn't get an advance on a credit card a few months ago because my ID was expired. I want to go home to see the family soon so it was time to brave the DMV and get a new ID. Surprisingly, aside from the two hours it took, it was pretty painless. The DMV office has been updated and computerized, so it was mostly a matter of waiting in line to show your documents and get a picture. Besides, here's a fun fact: I've never had a passport. Except for Canada I've never left the United States. I mean to change that in the future. Getting the ID put me in a retardedly good mood. My hair looks absolutely horrible in the picture, but I confess I spent about 10 minutes comparing the two pictures, almost a decade apart. I giddily and vainly report I'm actually holding up pretty well. I guess I don't need to search the internet for Botox just yet.

No comments: