Wednesday, August 02, 2006

En Fuego

Oh good god, I just left the bedroom and the rest of the apartment is an inferno. I spent most of the day holed up in my room. Away from the "deadly heat". Do we really need the mayor to tell us to drink plenty of water? I figure the people too stupid to know what to do in a heatwave are unlikely to be watching the news. It's just nature culling the stupid. Sort of like the alligators in Florida. I did pop out to the gym for a light workout.

Yesterday in preperation for the extreme heat I went out and bought a buttload of reading material. My intent was to be able to curl up in the air conditioning with Jet and watch some movies and best of all, read some books. If you haven't figured it out yet I love to read. I stopped in at Barnes & Noble and had to stop myself at four books. I had picked out six, but four books should get me through August for sure. That is unless I travel. Then I can get through a book in a day or two. And I am thinking of traveling. I'm overdue for a trip home to Buffalo, and I'd like to at least do a 3 day trip somewhere else. Anyone want me to come visit? Then I guess it's back to work doing .... something. Here are the books I've selected, in the order I intend to read them:

Dry - Augusten Burroughs. I'm hooked on him. 'Nuff said.

Another Bullshit Night In Suck City - Nick Flynn. The title alone got me, and if I was going to change my name, Nick Flynn would be a definite contender.

The Tender Bar - J.R. Moehringer. A leap of faith. I have no expectations for this one. Which means I may be pleasantly surprised.

Marley & Me - John Grogan. John and Jenny and a devil dog Lab. What's not to love?

No comments: