Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Jeez, Do Ya Think?

The producers of the new production of Equus had any idea that their naked PR pics of Harry Potter would be salivatingly reproduced by every lame-assed homo blogger worldwide? Hmm?
Honestly, just pathetic. Go buy an A&F catalogue.

I was at the gym tonight. I put on some headphones and listened to some inappropriate (non-Madonna) music. As I was working through my ab routine I had a mini-epiphany. And you know how painful those can be. It occurred to me that my inner monologue has become very negative. Like I'm stuck in a dark place. Or that I just automatically default to it. I was feeling kind of grumpy, and I was currently beating myself up about the little failures I had this week. All the things I shouldn't be doing as well as all the things I know I can do better.

And as I got lost in the music and (I'm assuming) some endorphins started to kick in, I thought: How terribly counterproductive. And I suddenly started ticking off all the good things that happened today. I got everything done I intended. I stocked up Jet's food. I bought healthy groceries for myself. I took my meds. I refilled a prescription. I skipped breakfast, a flaw, but I made a helathy low-carb lunch and I ate it all. A positive, as I've been unable to finish my meals the last few days. I stopped in to Barnes & Noble and found a new book to start. I was at the gym, I had finished 1/2hr. of cardio. I was looking forward to a delicious dinner that was almost already finished, my outfit was urban/cute and if I do say so myself, I have a pretty funny and ironic taste in music.

By the time I was finished, I have to admit, Dr. Phil be damned if I wasn't feeling much better. About myself, about the day. While I'm at work, I have a running criticism about myself playing in the background: You shouldn't be in this department there's nobody here. You should be selling over there. You should get on a register the lines are too long. I always feel like I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time and I could just Be. So. Much. Better.

And maybe if I quit beating myself up and learned to enjoy myself, I could be.

This has been my Daily Affirmation. Now scram, you suck.

No comments: