Friday, January 26, 2007

Adventures In Medicine

So I made the frigid trudge across town to keep my latest dental appointment. I wavered a bit about keeping the appointment at all, but I've been feeling oddly powerful and in control lately. Upon arrival, I was informed ahead of time that my visit would cost $78.00, at which point I said I didn't want the root canal done and would keep the appointment for a cleaning or even a cavity fill. In other words, free and not so invasive. It was noted on my chart and they took me right in. Just to be sure, I repeated my desires to the dental tech. She said that would be fine and the dentist would be in shortly.

He's Middle Eastern, kind of cute, but quite tiny. But I do feel relatively comfortable with him. He was actually quite amenable to going a little more slowly. Curiously, when I commented that one of the reasons I didn't want the root canal was because I couldn't afford it, he informed me it would be covered by ADAP. Despite the fact that he was the one who told me it would take 3 visits at $100 per. Where the $78.00 fits in I have no idea.

We agreed to a filling, and he proceeded to give me an injection. It was uncomfortable, but needles I can take. Within about 15 minutes about 1/4 of my mouth was numb. The new, high speed drills are pretty quiet and between the suction and the music playing, I hardly heard it. The whole thing was done in about 15 minutes. Totally painless. After the filling, the dentist informed me he had further examined the tooth that needed a root canal. He concluded it was not a good idea after all so the root canal is officially cancelled. I go back in March for another filling, and the rest of the year we'll be doing some cleaning and general check-ups. Exactly what I was hoping for. I should be dental-phobic free by the end of the year.

I then proceeded to the next floor for my quarterly blood test. After checking in I was informed that I was late and would need to reschedule. I explained that I had another appointment in the building. I further explained that I anticipated this was a problem and inquired two weeks ago as to whether or not I should book another time for labs. I was told to keep my dental appointment and then proceed to labs after. That it wouldn't be a problem. Clearly, it was a problem. I turned into an indignant queen and made the receptionist make a series of phone calls. I didn't get my labs done and had to reschedule. This would force me to re-schedule my follow-up to get the results. The lab receptionist offered to do it for me from there.

"I'll do it myself, thank you. Since you people clearly don't know what you're doing." I was never so happy to have a scarf to toss over my shoulder and flounce out in a huff.

No comments: