Thursday, January 11, 2007

In Which Our Hero Plays Politics

I showed up for work 1/2 hr. early today, after checking in advance that my angry dyke supervisor would be off. As expected two of my other supervisors were hanging around, and instead of picking the manager that hired me that I know better, I sought out the manager I felt wields a lot more influence. The Dutchess knows how to play the game, and clearly, I needed to make a move. Basically, after shining him on about how much I like my job, I laid out my case that the angry dyke was making my great job noticeably less great, and sought his advice about how I could either address the issue or at the very least, not let her obvious lack of management skills interfere with my advancement.

I think he was surprised (pleasantly so) that I would take such an aggressive step, and I think he was impressed and flattered that I trusted him to help. He gave me some great feedback, in that he thought that I seemed to him to have great skill and competence when dealing with our customers. He had no doubt that I would make sure they were taken care of and listened to. He also told me he noticed that on the busy weekend shifts, he would always find me working at something. He also complemented me on my "can do" attitude. I was glad he noticed. It's nice to be noticed.

He offered to broker a follow up meeting between me and the angry dyke, and he offered to sit in on another if I didn't feel my concerns were addressed. OK, Maybe he shined me a little bit too. That's what they do in this company. I have to admit though, I left feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

No comments: