Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Over The Hump

It appears the worst is over. At least I'm only extremely busy instead of swamped. I managed to get a big load of laundry done so I'm not forced to break into the emergency (read: old and droopy) underwear. I have a few hours in the morning to myself before I have to go in. My work day yesterday was only 13 1/2 hrs. instead of 15+. Believe it or not it felt noticeably better. And now that the kitchen is open we're actually getting a meal at the end of the day. That's most welcome. Many of my problems are relieved by a bowl of pasta.

Business-wise, we haven't been too busy out of the gate. Some of that has to do with opening on Easter weekend. And even though we don't have a crush of customers, I still have so many tasks to accomplish that I have work to do from the moment I get there. Actually, today I'm trying to get ready an hour early so I can get to Staples. We need some office supplies I'd rather pick out myself rather than leave for the office manager to get for us.

Speaking of offices, a side note. Right after I started this job, they located the manager's office off the kitchen, behind the chef's office, in a tiny room. This was not unheard of. Usually in any bar/restaurant I've worked in, the management office is one of the smallest rooms. Even if it is kind of the nerve center, it doesn't generate any income, so there you have it. However after less than a week, I was informed that the plan was to combine the managers and chefs from two rooms into one tiny tiny room that would be shared by all. That's at least 8 people and frequently many more at any one time. I protested immediately. I'm no diva, but a girl has to have room to breathe and besides, it was a security issue considering the money we would be handling vs. the amount of people around it. I was informed there was no choice. Fast forward to yesterday, as the chefs happily expanded their office into the one previously occupied by me and mine, and we set about setting up shop in fancy new digs in the corporate offices. Not only will I have access finally to a computer whenever I need it, I'll be able to get my work e-mail regularly and my very own desk and file cabinet. Plus, there's carpeting. I've died and gone to heaven.

And while I haven't had a moment to spare to attend any Gay-A meetings, I hope to get a couple in this week. Still, instead of my day count, today would be: Weeks without drinking: 9

No comments: