Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Rainy Days And Roastbeef


I love The Carpenters. They seem to have a direct link to the gay gene. Back when I was a less enlightened soul, I rewrote the lyrics to one of The Carpenters hits after Karen died. Thus, Rainy Days and Roastbeef Always Gets Me Down was born. I thought it was riotously funny at the time. 20 years later, I still get a guilty little smile when it rains on Monday.

Since you can't spend the entire afternoon inside masturbating, well, I can't ... anymore. What's a gal to do but pop out to the hardware store for some paint? My local hardware store will put out pre-mixed paint at a discount. I assume it's paint that someone wanted but changed their mind. Maybe the color wasn't right. The point is they sell you a gallon of a custom color for $4.95. That's a tip from me to you. Home Depot in Manhattan does it as well, so be sure and check. I just take a color I think will work and slap it up on the wall. 9 times out of 10 the change will totally cheer me for weeks.

So I re-painted my kitchen wall a gorgeous deep green. And I replaced the clock that The Ex gave me with a $10.00 lucite clock I got from a now defunct home furnishings business. I've always loved that clock. Then I went out and bought a wall mounted pot rack (at a 40% discount), so I can properly hang my pots and pans. They've been hanging on finishing nails for years. Then I reorganized the pantry area ... OK the pantry cart, and scrubbed the wood on the kitchen bar. I'll hang the pot rack tomorrow and I think I'm going to paint the bar black on my next day off. The Ex painted the kitchen several years ago and did a horrific job. He got paint everywhere including all over the bar. And it was an ugly color.

Why the nesting? I'm getting ready to start another new phase of my life. In which our hero becomes the sole occupant of a (soon to be) spacious Gramercy Park apartment. I could probably pay the fare myself, but it would be financially foolish. So I will find a roommate for December. But November belongs to me. And I'm only planning to rent out the bedroom on the other side of the apartment. I intend to remake and fix all the issues I've had around the place. I'm throwing out anything I haven't used in the last two years. I'm taking back the extra closet space in the bedroom next to mine. Did I mention I get a generous 40% discount at work?

No comments: