Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Get A Job!

Tonight was my first night training for my new job. I had spent all day Friday in an orientation/indoctrination, but it started at 7:45 (AM!) so I was semi-conscious for most of the morning. Even though I wasn't really working tonight, it was more like a roving classroom, I did put in a regular shift. It was 5 and 1/2 hours. Coming from the restaurant/bar business it's a fucking walk in the park. The night shift ended at 10 pm and at 10:05 I was on the street walking home. Typically in NYC, the store is never really un-staffed. As we left, the night shift was starting. They unload the delivery truck and re-stock and re-set the store. They work until 5 am.

It appears that my shopping addiction counts as a special skill. I totally felt like I was in my element. The managers and senior staff seem genuinely nice, in a culty sort of way. I have something called a break room, which I've never had before. And oh my gosh, I was reading through the employee handbook. Not only do I get rudimentary medical coverage, as well as vision and dental, but these crazy bastards are closed on holidays. It's madness.

My uniform? Sneakers, a T-Shirt and jeans. Sweet!

Hey, check out the trailer for John Cameron Mitchell's new film Shortbus.

No comments: