Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It's So Nice To Have A Mouse Around The House


On occasion, we get mice. They come in to the kitchen from a hole in the wall behind the stove. It's never just one. We frequently get a family. A couple of big ones and a smattering of little mouselets. Barely worth breading and frying. Aside from the mouse poop all over the kitchen, they eat through whatever food is bagged. And they're amazing climbers. I usually put out poison and try to get rid of access to food and they go away. If they're really bold and running all over the apartment, I feel I have no choice but to put down glue traps. I hate the traps because the mouses don't die, they're just helpless and hopelessly trapped on the glue. And you have to pick them up live and either put them in a bag and carry them out to the trash, or my preferred method, you have to pitch them out the window. Either way they squeak and are all wiggly. And sometimes only parts of them get stuck, so they have enough body free to drag themselves around the apartment.

My current mouseguests (HAR!) haven't left the kitchen but they've ravenously eaten every bit of unprotected food. They were very well fed on bags of Jet's dry dog food. So I've been laying out traps and caught two so far. I know for sure there's another as I heard and saw him tonight. I'm not sure how many are left. I'll just add them to the list of vermin that are about to be purged from my life.

P.S. I know what the plural of mouse is, I just like saying mouses.

No comments: