Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Busy Week

I'm finishing up my second week of training for the new job. Tomorrow is the last training day, although next week I'm starting classes for more specialized training. You can't say they aren't thorough.

I'm happy to report my energy level is not only back, it feels much improved. I now believe there were two issues at play. Part of the year was me adjusting to the meds, and part of it was that I really didn't want to spend any more time working in the restaurant/bar industry. And every time I took another job, as much as I tried to find the good in it, I couldn't escape the fact that every new position felt like I was having another bit of my soul sucked out. I didn't want to deal with the drunks and the smoking and the drugs. And that was just my co-workers. In a selfish way, I had enough of my own problems to deal with, and I didn't have the time, energy or patience to deal with every one else's. So I was always dragging. I was always tired. Tellingly, I was always late. Because I didn't want to be there.

I finally figured it out one night while walking the dog. There are typically several neighborhood bars around my apartment. When I walked by one on this particular night, it was moderately busy but not terribly late. Around 1 am. There were around four or five smokers outside talking and laughing on the corner. The bar stank of beer and oil, and it wafted out to the sidwalk. I visibly shuddered. At that moment, I couldn't imagine anything worse than taking another job with sub-standard pay, long, physically punishing late hours, no benefits and no real future.

And that's what it's all about now. The future. There are big doins here at my little Castle High Atop Second Avenue. But I'm feeling excited about the future for the first time in ages. I wake up happy to start my day.

Oh, and despite all the rumors, there is absolutely no truth to the scandalous gossip that I'm the other woman in the break-up between Hunter and Damon. I never touched either of them. Or rather, I couldn't get either of them to touch me.

No comments: