Thursday, April 30, 2009

Strange Week

I am officially completely stressed out about finding a job. I basically have the month of May to get back to work or I am totally screwed. I am going to rewrite my cover letters for bartending and management, check over my resume to see where I could make some changes, and make up a brand new completely different resume that makes it look like my bartending experience is more recent. In short, I plan to lie. Whatever, I need to keep a roof over my head.

And my lack of job stress is spilling over into everything else I do. Everyone is frustrating or aggravating the hell out of me right now. If I get behind someone slow or stupid at the drugstore or grocery it's all I can do not to bash their skull in with a can of beans.

I've been dropping in to an HIV+ men's discussion group the last couple of weeks, and I met a guy last week who looked to be about 45 (or more) and he had just tested positive within the last week. By the by, he's also the second person I've met in as many weeks who swears that he became positive with no higher-risk (meaning buttfucking) behavior going on. Meaning both of them swear they got HIV from sucking dick. I have no reason to disbelieve either of them. I also have no evidence that either one of them didn't suck off and swallow some walking bug factory with a big fat active viral load, so there's that as well.

Still, it was fascinating to meet an older, seemingly edumacated white guy, having to navigate the highways, byways and seemingly endless blood tests as well as the flood of questions without easy answers that come with an HIV diagnosis. He really seemed to be at a loss as to what any of it meant, and he was still very much experiencing a mild form of shock. I tried to pass along some of the extremely helpful advice that my friend Anthony (Neo) gave to me. I hope I made him feel a little better.

Turns out the hard drive on my desktop was not the cause of my computer problems after all. By the next day it wouldn't boot up reliably with the new drive either. So now I'm thinking it's the power supply. It's definitely not the fans. I've ordered a power supply from EBay, (open box) and 1/4 of the price at Not Your Best Buy. If it turns out that it's not the problem then I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard and in that case, I will be sans desktop until I'm gainfully employed again. Whenever the fuck that might be.

I spent a couple of these unseasonably warm and sunny afternoons this weekend lounging by the fountain in The All-White Park. For the record: still shockingly White's Only. During the first afternoon there I took my beach chair with me. That is, after I dug it out from behind the couch and removed a winter's worth of dust and dog hair.

When I returned home unevenly tan, I left the chair out in the hall, where it remained overnight. By the end of the second day, the chair had been pilfered. I was considering leaving a note taped to the wall, as I was sure being five flights up that it was more than likely an inside job. I was also willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt and generously assume maybe it was mistaken for trash and up for grabs. I thought a note might get someone feeling guilty enough to anonymously return it.

So you can imagine my surprise when the next morning, without benefit of any note- induced guilt, the perpetrator returned my chair.

Now I'm leaning toward drunken prankster, or someone that was originally raised on a commune. Either way, I have my beach chair back, and I didn't have to bash in anyone's skull with a can of beans.

No comments: