Tuesday, April 07, 2009

In Case You Missed It Too

The show ran long so my DVR clicked off without recording Glambert's American Idol performance. So of course, he gets himself a standing ovulation from Cowell. I managed to snag the video though and you have to admit, she's an artsy one. Gay, you know. (Fuck you, Bill O'Reilly.)

Also finally getting a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T is young Allison Iraheta, all of 16 years old with a voice and a half coming out of that tiny body. Even if you didn't notice how remarkably poised she is for her age, I'm here to tell you that week in and week out, she is the only singer besides the riveting Glambert that I don't give the Fast Forward heave-ho to. Usually, once I get a sense of whether or not the performance is any good I zip along to the judges, hopefully judiciously avoiding the increasingly stupid "Yo, Check It Dawg" bullshit that passes for English from Randy (thank you for America's Best Dance Crew) Jackson. I get my slurry, drunken, pilled-up Paula Abdul fix and then move on. After it's all over I sometimes will go back and watch an individual performance. Tellingly, I have never been able to get through a single performance from Danny Deadwife.

In any case, the point of this is to acknowledge that yes, Glambert is far and away the best, smartest, most developed, artistically gifted performer of this or arguably any other Idol season, but if you were being technical and thinking of the show as finding and discovering an emerging hidden talent, in my opinion young Ms. Iraheta has all the makings of a serious recording star. It's a shame that the judges spent the last few weeks blindly crawling so far up the (barely) moderately talented Lil Rounds' ass that they missed seeing how good Allison really is. She's going to have a big career.

No comments: