Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Staying Put For Now

I met with my supervisor on Monday. He gave me the details of my promotion and while the substance of my job is not expected to change, the fact that I'm replacing a very capable manager and still doing my own job means the reality will probably mean that I will be putting in more hours, at least immediately after the transition. I also gratefully received a generous salary increase and a new "title" (still not officially Duchess) that takes effect next week. We took a couple of minutes and talked about the direction the venue is likely to take. While he could offer no guarantees about the future, and really who can, if things play out as the powers that be intend, it will either be an exciting accomplishment or a colossal flop. And I'm OK with that.

I also had a first interview with the organization looking to hire me away. To say that I was less than impressed with the experience would be an understatement. It was a phone interview, and the woman conducting it couldn't have been more inept and boring. It was 1/2 hour of the most basic questions: "Tell me about this job", and "Why did you leave?". Over and over, with out any kind of follow-up question or even an acknowledgement that I was speaking. I literally bored myself. I was fishing about for any sense of where she wanted the conversation to go or what she was looking to hear about and got absolutely nothing back. I finally gave up and tried to extricate myself from the interview as fast as possible. And to think, the headhunter that was "sponsoring" me called in advance to tell me to "bring some enthusiasm" to the interview. I could get a better reaction from a lamp. At this point, even if they decide to pursue the interview process I'm planning on calling it quits.

Best to dance with the devil you know.

No comments: