Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pull Your Dress Down Dr. Freud, I Can See Your Slip ...

I must be doing something right, they're printing me a set of business cards. I got out right on time today and could have gone directly to my HIV+ support meeting but I decided to skip it and spend a couple hours with Jet. I've been leaving him every morning at 9:30 and not getting home until 9 or later. I have time to walk him, stuff my face and watch about 1/2 hour of TV before bed. That's not a complaint. I'm having a great time working, and my fears about being able to put in a full day without getting tired appear to be unfounded. Between the fact that I'm not always hungover and I actually like what I'm doing and the people I work with, I have plenty of energy to get through the day. I actually had to be reminded today that we could go home, as I hadn't checked my watch in a while. It will be nice to pull a few night shifts when we finally open. At least I can walk the dog a couple times and spend some time in the park with him before I have to leave for work. I'm not planning on closing every single night however. That gets tedious after a while no matter who you are. And since the bulk of the problems happen at night, I'll take my share of less hectic day shifts on occasion thank you very much.

The last couple of days have been spent doing interviews, follow-up interviews and callbacks for interviews. I'm notoriously casual when it comes to interviewing. I usually skip over the standard questions and ask them about their family, if they have kids, where they were born etc. I spent the first 15 minutes of one interview getting information about weather and beaches in Brazil from one young lady. What can I say, I ask what pops into my head. You try interviewing 100+ people over three days. I have to get creative to keep from getting bored. You still get a good sense of what they're all about. I'm assuming a bartender can make a martini. If not, we'll find out soon enough.

One challenge that came up yesterday happened when my boss asked another manager and me to take some time this week to go to neighboring comparable establishments and suss out their drink prices. Pretty standard task when you are opening in an unfamiliar neighborhood. Problematic for a man in recovery however. I thought about calling someone to go with me. I could buy them drinks and get my info that way. But believe it or not, I'm not currently close enough with anyone not sober to call on in that situation. A free drink budget and no one to waste it on, can you imagine? Oh, the humanity! I mentioned to one of the other managers that I was having an issue with the assignment as I don't drink. I followed that up with, "Still, nobody says I have to finish it". He quickly corrected me "You mean drink it". Of course, I meant drink it not finish it, didn't I?

Yeah, that's it.

I won't be getting my first paycheck until next Friday. I have around $130 until then. Oy.

No comments: