Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

No. Seriously. That's a great pumpkin.
Wondering what I did on Halloween this year? I worked my ass off at home. The Hellcat finally moved his things out. After blaming anything he may have taken that didn't belong to him on "the seizure", he also dropped the bomb that he replaced the shower head with the old one, but he didn't really do a good job and didn't test the seal. In other words, as a final gift, he left me with a broken shower that was just dangling down the wall on a flex hose. As to "the seizure", it's his newest catch-all excuse for anything he fucks up or fails to accomplish. First year it was the ex-boyfriend dying from AIDS, the next year it was depression and the meds he was taking to treat it, now thankfully for him he had a seizure. So now he can use that when he doesn't get a job, or sleeps until 8 pm, or misses an appointment. It's typical behavior when you spend your life as a Professional AIDS Victim. Whatever, he's the rest of the world's problem now.

So yesterday I returned his cable box to get that off my bill. He generously offered to do it himself but I declined since I wanted it taken care of this year. Then I released my inner lesbian and headed to Home Depot. I bought a replacement shower head that would hang directly overhead. While I was at it I bought a replacement cylinder for the apartment deadbolt. The Hellcat mumbled something about having two sets of keys, translation: he had an extra set made for his nasty cunt boyfriend after I expressly told him not to. The Ex still hasn't returned his. There was absolutely no way I was going to relax knowing any of them had keys to my apartment. All of my trust has evaporated.

After having lunch I set about installing the new shower head. It was surprisingly easy. And I've replaced the entire deadbolt on more than one occasion so changing just the cylinder went smooth as well. Once that was sorted, it was time to give Jet a bath. The weather report said it would be in the 60's, and I wanted to give him a bath while it was still warm outside, in case I walked him wet. Besides that, I was about to scrub down the living room, and bath time is a decidedly damp affair, so I figured I would get his bath done before I spent a couple hours cleaning. As expected the apartment got soaked, but Jet is great at bath time. I think he likes the attention and I don't make it a big drama.



Being in full purge mode, I ended up cleaning out the bathroom cabinet. Anything unused or expired or of questionable quality got tossed. Gels, lotions vitamins all out. I filled a small bag.

I took Jet to pick up some prescriptions and by then, the kids had started trick or treating. This being NYC, they went business to business down 2nd Avenue. Restaurants, Nail Salons, bodegas were all fair game. And yes, they all had candy for the kids. Including my pharmacy. Only in New York. I stopped at the dog run and of course, some of the dogs were in costume. It was something of an unexpected celebration. People brought cameras, one woman made bags of doggie treats for all the dogs, and another lady made cupcakes for all the owners. Who knew? Jet didn't get a costume, but I reserve the right to dress him up when I feel like it.

After a dinner/Dancing With The Stars fix, I set about cleaning the living room. I moved all the furniture out. Between the dog hair and the dust bunnies, there was a mountain of dirt behind the couch. I threw out a bunch of lumber and a rusted window screen that has been back there forever. Then I swept and mopped the floor twice. I loaded all the furniture back in and vacuumed all the fabrics. At some point, I rearranged the storage in my bedroom and started working on my closet, but I was practically possessed at that point, so I'm not really sure what order things happened. I can say I have a lot more personal space, and the living room is finally clean after months of squalor.

On Friday, I'm putting down a new floor in the kitchen. And I'm currently shopping thrift stores for a new coffee table and a new dinette. The whole apartment is getting a budget makeover. I wrote here once this year that I had finally bought a matching dinner service for 6. Something I had never had my entire adult life. The other day while reorganizing the kitchen cabinet, I noticed that one of my "friends" had broken a coffee cup. I have no idea when, but I do know that neither one of them said a single word, or apologized, or offered to replace it. Good riddance to a couple of no-class assholes.

No comments: