Saturday, April 08, 2006

It's Official

I am officially back amongst the ranks of the wage slaves. Tonight I was offered the job and went back on the payroll. Despite my expressed desire to avoid bars and restaurants, my half-assed foray into the 9 to 5 world was met with an unenthusiastic "and you are?" that sent me retreating to the world I know best. Did I mention I have never, ever had a regular 9 to 5 job? Anyway, the details are as follows:

It's a restaurant/bar in Chelsea that has been open a number of years. The food is wonderful.

Many of the people on staff have been there 6,7 and 8 years. Unheard of in most of NYC and a pretty good indication that you get treated pretty good.

The owners I have met have been friendly and very low maintenance, and the staff speaks very highly of their bosses.

My commute is an easy 1/2 hour walk across town and I pass two branches of my gym on the way. If the weather is inclement I can catch a cross-town bus that drops me off literally at the front door of work.

The clientele is mixed gay and straight, young and old, black and white. Same goes for the staff.

As I stated in an earlier post, my HIV status is no issue. I haven't opened a conversation with it yet, but I'm not the least bit concerned.

I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. After being regularly starved at my next to last job, and seeing as how my last (brief) job was no picnic as far as regular food breaks either, this is a most pleasant and welcome change. They seem to understand a troop moves best on a full stomach.

My pay, while not breaking any records, is more than I've made in a while, emminently fair, and will afford me the means to maintain my lavish lifestyle.

I don't need it (thanks ADAP!) but they offer health insurance.

- That's all I intend to reveal for now. I think I've decided this time around to try not to feature my job as another character in my blog. That hasn't seemed to work out too well. I do have plans to use my position in the future to try and host some HIV+ socials, mixers, events etc. I'm exploring some avenues with this group. More when I'm settled in and have a chance to build some bridges. Suffice it to say I'm feeling right now like I've landed one of the better jobs I've ever had. I'd prefer to be obnoxiously rich and spend my days planning charity balls and cotillions, but since I have to work for now, this seems like it'll be OK.

No comments: