Monday, July 06, 2009

Travel Ban For HIV+ Will Be Lifted "Soon"

Despite the fact that the policy change was signed into law last year by then-President Bush, it is expected that the US ban on HIV+ travelers will be lifted sometime near the end of the year. The Department of Health and Human Services is expected to post the new regulations followed by a three month comment and review period. Assuming no one in Congress acts to block the regulation it is expected to go in to effect after that. I guess that's how long these things take, but the original ban was a shining example of US sex and homo phobia, as well as government that is lead by fear and bigotry rather than courage and common sense.

And as long as I'm on my soap box, the situation with the New York State Senate and their flat out refusal to craft a solution to their whose dick is smaller contest and get back to work is infuriating and embarrassing. This goes beyond partisan politics and power plays to a childishness and a complete disregard for the needs of the constituents of New York State that these people should be ashamed of themselves. The fact that they clearly are not in the least bit chagrined by their own behavior has made me resolve to vote against every single one of them in the next elections. I don't care if their opponents are Klansmen Nazi bastard offspring of the late Jerry Fallwell, I will do whatever I can and contribute whatever time and money I am able to have these jackasses thrown out of office. Maybe if a few thousand people agreed with me and sent some emails to that effect we would get some results. As far as I'm concerend it will be too little too late.

No comments: