Monday, June 04, 2007

Work, Work, Work

Haven't posted in almost a week. Wish I had something dramatic to relate, but the truth is I'm working all the time. When I'm not at work I'm hanging out with Jet or puttering around the apartment. I got most of the painting done in the living room. I will finish tomorrow as the forecast calls for rain showers. Perfect painting weather. I'm still trying to figure out a plan to put a fresh coat of polyurethane on the floors and keep Jet off it while it dries. I don't want to varnish a coat of dog hair to the floor. I can't wait to show you some pictures. I'm very happy in my living space these days.

Work is going OK. It's more hours than I bargained for. Had I known I would have asked for more money. Last night (Sat) we were open for business and had over 200 covers on the books. That's normal. But after midnight an outside promoter held an event and drew another 1200 people. We had all four bars open on four floors. We had bottle servers and barbacks and bartenders and about 15 security guys all working to try and keep things going smoothly. So basically we served a Saturday night dinner crowd and than a nightclub crowd back to back. We were open till 4 am. By the time we got the rooms emptied it was going on 5. The other managers took to sorting out all the open checks and credit card tabs. I handled closing down the bars and cashing out the registers. It's tedious and time consuming. Some people get totally intimidated dealing with $40,000 in receipts and cash but I find that I don't really think of it as money. Certainly not my money. So to me it's just numbers. And they have to add up right or I need to figure out why they don't. It's that simple. Still, there's no real fast way to count the registers and reconcile the credit cards, not if you want it to be accurate. Which is why I ended up getting home at 9 am this morning. So late the morning grocery stores had already opened, and I came home with an egg & cheese bagel. I took Jet to the dog park while I read the paper and sipped some coffee. My intent was to get some painting done and go to bed but I found myself falling asleep after inhaling the bagel sandwich and some chips. I ended up sleeping until after 3 pm. Jet has taken to laying across my chest and licking my face when he wants me up. He'll give up and go away if I push him off but he's hard to resist.

I woke up exhausted, my legs and feet were sore and it was raining. I still managed to finish painting the ceiling and drop off a bag of laundry. After a burrito dinner I dropped off to sleep on the couch. Again, I wonder if this is old age or hard work or both. I decided to go with it and woke again around 1 am. After cleaning up the apartment and feeding and walking Jet (again in the rain) I put a coat of primer on some metal pipes that need painting and organized my bills for the month. Then I cleaned up the kitchen, packaged some recycling and washed and dried all the painting supplies from the last few days. By the time I checked again it was after 4 am. I finally had to take an Ambien (god bless you, Ambien) to knock myself out. It worked so well I actually fell asleep in the middle of composing this very post. After another 8 hours of rest my body aches have healed themselves and I feel pretty good. Today's agenda includes some more painting and cleaning, I have to pick up that bag of laundry and Jet needs his food store replenished. I also need to get to a Gay-A meeting. The extremely late shift and the fact that I actually stepped in and bar tended the other night brought back a lot of memories of my drinking. It left me unsettled and I need to work it out. I'll tell you about that tomorrow.

No comments: