Thursday, June 07, 2007

Time and Money

Thanks Universe! Sort of. As requested, I've been offered more money in compensation for my time on the late shift Saturday. And while they were at it they threw in an offer for this Saturday, another club promotion, as well. And while I greatfully accepted what amounts to a bribe, upon reflection I've decided that I'm going to be unavailable for future bookings. At least as far as these all night club promotions go. Not that I'm unable to work them. The issue is two-fold: One, I have never been compensated at a rate I thought was fair for the amount of hours I've been working. Two, adding an entire 6th shift on to my already busy work week would push me well into an 80 hr. work week on a consistent basis. And there's no way they would offer me enough in compensation and bonuses to make that kind of a schedule worth while. In my old age and sobriety, I'm finding that my quality of life becomes an important factor in my decisions. I need time for other things. I need other creative outlets. I need a little time every few days to take a long walk with my dog and think. You can't always translate those things in to a paycheck. Don't get me wrong, if I was offered a ridiculous amount of money to put my life on hold for a while I'd probably sell out. But I'm being offered a little extra money for a whole lot of work, and quite frankly, it's just not worth it.

So for now I'll help run the restaurant. I'll try to make some sense out of the mess that the events department creates. I'll do Human Resources. I'll do payroll. I'll sort out their calendar and party planning system. I just won't have anything to do with the nightclub work. At least until someone pays me to.

No comments: