Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Give Good Letter

My note to the powers that be:

Hello all,

I realize some of you are out of the country or on Blackberries so I'll be brief. As requested, I wanted to inform you that beginning this weekend I no longer will be available to work the late night "night club" hours. While I do have many concerns regarding door policies, security, financial compensation and staffing, I'm confident these issues could be addressed and solved going forward. What I'm unwilling to continue to ignore however, is the crushing amount of hours I'm apparently expected to work on any given day. In case anyone isn't aware, at minimum, all the managers worked at least an 18 hr. shift on Saturday. I came in at 2:30 in the afternoon on Saturday, and my shift legitimately ended sometime after 8 am Sunday morning. It was the same story last week, and if things are left as they are, I have every reason to believe this would be repeated on Friday and Saturday this weekend, with the addition of the late night concert/performance this Friday. I never agreed to work these kinds of extreme shifts and in my extensive experience managing live music and nightclub venues, I have never been asked to, except in an emergency situation (an example being the five days I opened and closed during the World Trade Center destruction). Please understand, I am not afraid of hard work, and long hours usually come with a management job, but I feel what I'm being asked to do is beyond the pale. It has already had a negative impact on my physical well being and my personal life, and while I'm willing to do whatever I can to assist in making S-------T L--- a success, I'm unwilling to jeopardize my health. I plan on working my restaurant shifts this weekend, and I will do all I can to ensure that the late night venues are set and ready to go. Or, if you would rather have more of a management presence on the late night, I will be happy to fill in there, and adjust my restaurant hours accordingly, until you arrange for a more permanent solution.

Sincerely,
Tom

No comments: