Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

My plan was to get to a Gay-A meeting on Monday, since my first day off, Sunday, was pretty much shot from the extremely long, extremely late Saturday night shift. I dutifully walked across town to 9th Ave. only to find that my regular Gay-A meeting had been replaced by some sort of an election. Apparently, the day to day business of running Gay-A takes some sort of voted on body of former drunks, the details of which didn't interest me because I really felt like I needed to attend a meeting. My experience from the other night, being semi-surrounded by people handling their stress through drinking had left me feeling bad. Not badly enough, obviously, that I would take the time or effort to find another alternative that night, instead opting to ditch the meeting and snag a Chinese dinner. But I did make plans to get up early the next morning and try to get to a noon meeting I've been meaning to try. I also wanted to make a concerted effort to get back to the gym, at least for a round of cardio if not for a full workout. Unfortunately I set my alarm for 10 pm instead of am and when I awoke at 12:45 this afternoon I knew my plans would all have to be tabled for another day. It was all I could do to catch up on my e-mail and get the dogs walked and fed. Yes, I said dogs. I'm finding the care and feeding of Mr. Tails is falling more and more on my shoulders. I could just tend to Jet and leave Mr. Tails to sit locked away in his room, but anyone who knows me knows I couldn't. It's just too mean.

In any case, between the fact that I'm a little frustrated at the lack of personal time I'm finding and the fact that I'm feeling under-compensated for the Herculean work we've been doing running the restaurant, I arrived at work in a completely foul mood. It was made worse when it became obvious that our event staff doesn't have a clue what their function is or how to successfully go about it, and we once again had to spin gold from the poop that was a lack of coherent information. For example, tonight's private event was to take place on the main floor or the Penthouse, and was to begin at 5:00, 6:00 or 6:30, and end at 9:00 or 11:00, all depending on which e-mail or event order sheet you consulted. And we still made it work and work well. I definitely need more money for this.

No comments: