Thursday, June 28, 2007

Gay Pride Weekend

Not so much. In fact, I skipped the festivities this year. On Friday, I was busy running a party for the premier of Bruce Willis' latest Die Hard movie. Given his advanced age I believe the full title is Die Hard: My Prostate Is Enlarged. In any case a couple of thousand peeps went to Radio City for the premier and then they bounced over for an after party with us. It was supposed to be 400 people in attendance but it was actually well over 500. To say I was busy is an understatement. As such, I can only drop a bunch of boldface names on you. I never actually laid eyes on most of them. In addition to Bruce Willis, Demi showed up as well (didn't see her). Ashton was there (didn't see him). Rumor has it so was Rumer (Wouldn't have known her, but also didn't see her). I did spy actor/director Kevin Smith pretty early on. And I did in fact take a brief elevator ride with Ice-T. We chatted about how the VIP area these days is frequently so far from the main room it's no longer fun. Actually, he chatted. I was relocating a couple of chairs for a VIP table. But I smiled and said "right" a couple of times. He was quite nice. I confess, I didn't recognize anyone else. Someone pointed out Kate Beckinsale to me. Wouldn't have known her either, although I will say she's quite beautiful and she's got an amazing pair of legs. The party turned out great.

Saturday I was scheduled to work the late night again, covering for someone going out of town for the weekend. It actually worked out OK for me because I opted to go in later Saturday night which gave me time to pop in to Neo's belated wedding reception. I could expand on what went on there but in a nutshell, I chatted with some old co-workers and acquaintances. I didn't have a thing to eat or drink. I passed out a couple of business cards and caught up with some people I'll probably never see again. I got bored and actually wanted to get in to work. I worked the late night with a new manager in tow, giving him tips about crowd control and how to deploy and use our security men. We didn't have a single incident until the end when some sort of a fight broke out on the balcony level. No one was hurt or thrown off, so I didn't get involved.

But I did end up getting home around 8 am, and by the time I relaxed with some television and took Jet out to the dog park it was going on 10 am Sunday morning. I didn't think an afternoon parade was a very realistic goal. I was up and around by about 4 pm, and while the rest of the gays were parading shirtless down 5th Ave. and getting ready to dance the night away, I busied myself taking laundry down in a never-ending quest to have a clean apartment. The rest of the day was spent lounging on the couch and eating. Lots and lots of eating. But that leads me to another post entirely. If you substitute ice cream for alcohol is it still just an addiction?

No comments: