Monday, February 07, 2005

Every Silver Lining Has A Dark Cloud

I put my tax return in to my checking account. Feeling flush, I proceeded to pay the current bills. I paid the rent, cable bill, phone, Con-Ed (electric) and a credit card payment. The result? I had about 50 dollars left. Granted, that doesn't include my current woefully substandard paycheck. I have money in my pocket and am in no danger of starving but I really wish I was making enough that money was again an afterthought instead of an obsession. To achieve that I would have to go back to bartending. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. I quit bartending because I thought I was too old. But I miss the flexibility I had in my hours and I really miss having plenty of available cash at all times. Last night I had drinks at The Pheonix. Seeing the staff they had hired, I'm definitely not too old to be bartending. I just need to find the right bar. It's not lost on me that I could make the money I'm making now, working 50+ hours a week, working 3 nights in any decent NYC gay bar.

Still, I had a nice couple of days. My "good head" seems to be holding. Work doesn't seem like a big scary place anymore. It's just work. I had to put my foot down and smack down a couple of unruly employees yesterday. I hated being in a position that they forced me to be in, but I stepped up and stood my ground. I think I got their grudging respect.

No comments: