Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Let it Snow, Let it, ah.....fuck it.

I'll stay off the "sex life of a blogger" bandwagon for now (although I do have one and it's half written already). I'll tell you this story instead.

Of course, because I have plans to go to Neo's surprise party yesterday, it snows. A genuine snowstorm, and this from a boy what grow'd up in Buffalo. It started around 6:30 ish just as I was heading to the store to pick up Neo's gift. His player got fragged by the electronic poltergeist Neo is plagued with. He's complained on more than one occasion about not being able to watch his favorite DVD's but he's been covering a lot of other expenses of late and just didn't get around to replacing it. So a casual, "Oh, by the way have you replaced your DVD player yet?" And I knew that's what I needed to get him. Anyway, the snow began with enourmous, white fluffy flakes. They were so big you could actually hear them plop on to the pavement when they landed. It was quite beautiful as they were swirling down from the sky. Twenty minutes later as I'm returning home it had changed. The fluffy flakes became wind whipped painful little ice pellets that hit you in the face tearing tiny bits of your flesh away. I made my way to the grocery store, and another twenty minutes later it had changed again. Back to snow but normal sized now and piling up fast. By the time I arrived back home I was no longer sure if there would even be a party or if Neo could get in from Jerzee. I sent him a text casually inquiring if his "dinner plans" with P--- were still on. I got a one word reply "yes". So, I dutifully wrapped up the gift and began my crosstown trudge. I had plenty of $$$ for a taxi but trudging is more fun and it's where I snapped this cool picture:



I made it across town after a stop at my gym to grab a hot shower (The water pressure in my bathroom shower is so bad this winter, the water just sort of bubbles out of the shower head and runs down the wall. It produces a grotto effect which, if not for the possibility of extreme water damage to the downstairs apartments, I would leave running at all times. If you do manage to get some water out of the head, it's annoying. Like taking a shower while someone's constantly spitting on you.) and snap a few pics. The "restaurant" where we had the party was quite interesting. It was called the Greenroom on 6th/26th. The place is filled with plants. Enourmous plants. Everywhere One whole side of the place is walkways like an indoor botanical garden and you can walk around and look at the plants and the pots and the big fountain. It's actually quite pretty. Here's a couple of shots.





Unfortunately, because the storm was still stormin the turnout was quite scarce. Mostly the hardcore for real friends and family of Neo's plus a couple of geeks and wierdos that he has a tendency to collect all the time. We had our own little area and a waitress and a way cute bartender that would repeatedly and quickly lift up his shirt to show you his abs every single time he was asked. They had some chicken wings (not on my diet) pannini of various sorts (not on my diet) ziti in a cream/tomato sauce (I don't think so) and chicken and pepper skewers in a mustard dipping sauce (success!). I had thirty. (I'm lying) I had 5 very weak vodka/sodas and I wasn't the least bit buzzed. Gifts were opened and the most gorgeous birthday cake I ever did see was cut and ate (no, I didn't). We all finally agreed it was time to go. The kids decided they wanted to head down to Pieces as Tuesday is kareoke night. I thought why the hell not? I wasn't looking for anything but what the hey, if one of those Pieces college age cuties said pretty please, can I suck you off would I say no? No. Alas, we just all sorta hung out and listened to some bad kareoke. I insisted I would participate but only if we all did it and only if they could find "Natural Woman". It is the only song I will kareoke to. About 1:30 ish (maybe 2) I started to feel all pumpkin like, so I made my way over towards the front door. With a quick check so as to be sure I had no witnesses "poof" I was gone in a puff of smoke. At one point, as four of us were riding to Pieces through the village, Neo got a phone call. Obviously a friend, obviously asking about the party. " I got a DVD player." I am smug. I am self-satisfied.