Sunday, May 03, 2009

I Bettah Work

I hooked up with a catering company late last week. On the same day as my interview they offered me a booking for this Saturday which I gleefully accepted. So after leaving the house just after 1:00 I arrived at the booking office before 2:00. We were checked in and assigned various car-pools. Four of us drove off to a town in New Jersey, where we worked for a hotel that was hosting several events. Ours was a high school reunion. And I have become a cater-waiter.

And why not? It's a skill I'm actually quite good at. You would think that serving hors d'oeuvres and running a buffet line would be a pretty easy way to make a buck but it's physically pretty demanding, and to accomplish it well and remain unobtrusive takes a certain amount of expertise and experience. Plus you get pretty dirty.

I worked 8 full hours and spent almost four hours traveling. I didn't get home until 3am. That's the longest I've been away from home in months, and it made Riley greet me as if I'd been gone for days. It was nice to have made some money, and I'm hoping this company can provide me three or four days of work every week. That will be more than enough money to replace what I am currently making in unemployment checks.

And while I haven't spoken in a while about my plans to become a foster parent, that's certainly still my intent. But I think it's important for me to get my finances back in order before I take on the responsibility of providing for another mouth to feed. Not that I think you need to be rich to have a family, I just don't want to be preoccupied (as I have been) with making sure the bills are paid and I have a place to live. Maybe it's just me (I doubt it), but I've found that when you are in survival mode, it's really all you can think about. And that's not how I want it to be when I finally take this big step. I want to be able to enjoy it.

No comments: