Saturday, September 27, 2008

True Blood Does Not Suck


I was dismayed to read an advance review of the new HBO vampire series True Blood. I had high hopes and an incredible amount of anticipation for the show, seeing as how, at least in NYC, HBO did an amazing and extended marketing campaign that went on for months prior to the series debut. So I was a little disappointed to read a pre-screening review that was largely negative in one of the local papers. I don't even remember why the reviewer didn't like it, only that it was gratuitously violent and needlessly dirty. SOLD! I think the reviewer didn't like the story either but I stopped reading after the nudity bit.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find I genuinely liked the series right after the first episode. I mean, you have to really muck it up for me to not like a vampire series anyway, but beyond that, I loved the writing, some (but not all) of the acting and I loved the entire bayou setting, atmosphere and undertones. It's an anything can happen world full of secrets and mystery and right up my alley.

And it didn't hurt that most, if not all, of the gratuitous nudity involved Australian Soap Opera actor Ryan Kwanten, who plays Jason Stackhouse, the totally humpy, voraciously horny and lovably stupid brother to Anna Paquin's lead character.

Delicious.

No comments: