Thursday, July 05, 2007

Holiday Video

As usual, I don't get a holiday. Not that I'm feeling sorry for myself. But I did take a certain smug sense of satisfaction when I woke to find the weather outside unseasonably cool and overcast for the 4th. Picnics would go on but at least no one around here would be enjoying the beach while I worked. Of course, there wasn't much work to do anyway. I managed to finish the weekly payroll and send it on to the CFO, insuring that the holiday won't impact Friday payday, at least on my end. Our customers consisted mostly of drunken British sailors and wayward non-English speaking tourists. Anybody with a lick of sense or communication skills managed to find the various outdoor festivals, free concerts and of course fireworks displays put on by my fair city. I decided to close up for the night when one of our only two tables in the house ordered just Freedom Fries (kidding). If you've decided to take the entire long weekend off I don't blame you. My weekend won't start until Sunday.

In any case, one of the things I enjoy about holidays is how certain TV stations will run marathons of some of their programming. You can sit and watch an entire season of Project Runway if you're so inclined. And my new DVR is paying off in spades. I finally have a library of crap to watch even if I don't get home 'till 5 am. No more boring World News Now, lots of Little People, Big World. You know, the important stuff.

One of the better marathons I stumbled on this weekend was courtesy of the BBC. Yesterday afternoon they aired back-to-back specials from British comedian Eddie Izzard. I had only seen one of his specials previously, and the BBC was kind enough to air 3 more. Maybe you won't see it, but I think his humor is exceedingly intelligent and I just love his delivery. Here's a fairly large (and timely) clip, you can find many more on YouTube:

No comments: