Friday, July 20, 2007

Bitch Cut Me!

Walking to work yesterday when it started to rain. As it got heavier, I began walking briskly for the subway station, staying close to the buildings. You get the benefit of the various awnings/overhangs to help you make it a block or so in the rain while staying relatively dry. Unbeknownst to me, a sprinkler pipe was carrying an extra piece of jagged metal. I brushed it rather violently as I hurried by, and immediately heard a tearing and felt intense pain. I looked down to see my jeans ripped open at the knee. The metal sticking out of the pipe had torn my pants and unfortunately in to my flesh. Judging by the pain I feared a deep cut. Upon inspection, it seemed to be a bad scrape instead. But it hurt like a sonofabitch. And I faced the prospect of going to work with badly torn pants. I thought about finding a Gap but it seemed like a bad idea considering I was bleeding. Best to get to work. I sat on the subway, worried that I had misjudged the cut as superficial and would look down to find blood running down my leg. No such gusher ever came and when I got to work I cleaned and dressed the wound and went about my business. It had already started to heal up by the end of the day. In order to seal the deal, my dog set about lick-cleaning the wound when I got home at 5 am. I hope he doesn't catch The AIDS.

In unrelated news, I put a fresh coat of polyurethane/stain down on the living room floor. No easy task considering I had to protect the wet wood from pawprints for 6 hrs. until it dried. It looks great but now I'm noticing every stray dust ball and dog hair that shows up on it. I'm almost finished in the living room. I need to buy a full length mirror and some artwork. While I was doing that, the landlord had hired people to paint the hallways and the vestibule in the building. My ferocious dog ignored the workmen in the hallway all week. Although I did have to stop him from sticking his nose in the paint pan. The vestibule is now a lovely shade of robin's egg blue. Unfortunately, today I was noticing how dirty and scuffed up my mailbox is. I think I have a problem.

No comments: