Monday, February 05, 2007

The Truth Shall Set Me Free

February 5, 2007



To whom it may concern,

As you may know, I missed a regularly scheduled shift this past Sunday, Feb 4. And I failed to call out for the time lost as well.

Recently, it has become increasingly obvious to me that I have an alcohol abuse problem. Coupled with an ongoing battle with panic disorder and other medical issues have made it tough. But I believed that I could take charge of the situation alone and that everything would be fine.

On Saturday night, Feb 3, my intent was to enjoy a couple of drinks and go to bed early. Instead, I proceeded to have far more than I intended or was advisable or healthy. While I did get some sleep, I came to the realization that I was in no condition the next day to leave the house, much less deal with the public or possibly climb up and down ladders. I understand I had the option to call out. But I’m not a very good liar, and I wouldn’t know what to say. So I opted to just return to bed and sleep it off.

It should be noted, I have never had anything to drink on the clock or on the premises. I have never come to work directly from a bar or a party, etc. But I have never had my alcohol use directly interfere with my ability to work, until now. In addition, I feel that it’s caused some of my interpersonal skills to suffer and my ability to communicate effectively has been damaged. This is unacceptable to me, and I am embarrassed by my behavior and loss of control.

It seems apparent to me now that I’m going to have to take stronger actions and get some assistance to address the underlying panic disorder and my alcohol abuse problem. It’s actually a welcome decision, as I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to compartmentalize the issues rather than deal with them. So, beginning tomorrow I will be attending an outpatient program for people with alcohol abuse problems. I will continue with that for as long as it takes, until I have the skills to cope with my life and my issues in a healthy productive manner. In addition, I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my Healthcare Provider on Friday Feb. 9, at which point I intend to inform her of my difficulties, and work with her to adjust the medication I currently take for panic disorder.

As to my future at the ########## #####. If it’s possible, I’d like it to continue. Work is important to me, and I find this work challenging and rewarding. On the good days, I left the store with a feeling of accomplishment and pride. I’ve enjoyed getting to know many of my co-workers. I’ve learned a lot and I’m eager to learn more. I feel that, healthy and 100% present on any given day, I have much to contribute in the way of astonishing the customer. And I hope I still have that opportunity.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Tom

No comments: