Friday, March 11, 2005

Stick An Icepick In My Eye, I Beg Of You

We did a room rental last night. Room rental is synonymous with potential disaster. It means the room and the show are technically not ours. The production and the house is being planned by an outside organization. As much as I bitch about work I have to say, these people know how to organize, plan and execute a show. From the beginning they told me they didn't want me changing the system so much as learning theirs. And they were right. Maybe someday I'll write out everything we/I have to do to mount (he he, he said mount) a show every day. It's exhausting. Frequently, with a room rental, they haven't taken in to account a key factor. They don't know how to mount a show, or run a door, or do a guest list, or handle security. These people came up with nightclub 101 textbook examples of how not to do an event. On any level. It was a clusterfuck of the highest order.

As an aside, there were some genuine celebrities on hand. Russel Simmons dropped by. The Game (who?) put in an appearance. As did Sean Combs. (I refuse to call him P. Diddy, once and for all that's fuckin' stupid. Period.) At one point, I was guarding a doorway between the nightclub (No Lucy, you can't be in the show) and the restaurant. I was supposed to prevent people from using it, as they clomped through the kitchen which is a safety issue and damned annoying. When I tried to stop a production wench from going through she informed me that she was taking Sean Combs through. Now, I was totally through at this point and feisty as hell. I had multiple instances of "don't you know who I am's" (sorry, DJ Hollywood, that name means absolutely not a fucking thing to me). But I have in fact heard of Sean Combs. So I let them through. And then 20, 30 (holy shit!) 50 no, make that 70 people marched through. I'm not kidding. Who the fuck travels with an entourage of 70+ people? I ran it down today and sure enough, he walked in with 70+ friends and was traveling with a party of over 70 people. The bodyguards I could see. The group of 10 or 15 "peeps" I could sorta see. The extra 55 people? That's retarded.

No comments: