Tuesday, January 15, 2008

god Bless The USA

So I guess it should come as no surprise at all, considering if you're HIV+ you really can't even visit this great nation of ours that, if I recall correctly, was founded on the basis of tolerance and freedom from persecution. But it also appears that if you're HIV+ you sure as shit can't be a living, breathing, gainfully employed potential taxpayer and productive citizen of our "fair" shores either. As this e-mail via my people over at SIN will attest:

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of applying for my Green Card thru work sponsorship, and have just found out that If I test positive in the medical exam, (which I will) I'll be denied the Green Card. I am kinda freaked out by all this, and just wanna put it out there to see if anyone has any experience of this situation, overcome the hurdle, advice of any kind etc.

Also, I remember someone mentioning to me that a guy in our group recently got his Green Card, Does anyone know who this is? Any help would be much appreciated as the filing is happening now! If I have to go back to London its by far not the end of the world, but New York is my home now.
many thanks.

If anyone has any practical and reliable advice on this subject, be it legal or of the "define: legal" variety, please leave a comment or get in touch with me via e-mail. I will be sure and pass it on. And while I'm at it, considering the only questions that anyone portraying themselves as "representing" the gay community seem to be asking the presidential candidates have to do with gay marriage, which I could give a flying fuck about, I would dearly like to know unequivocally where the candidates stand on the HIV+ travel ban, as well as the equally heinous and blatantly discriminatory above mentioned HIV+ citizenship ban.

But maybe that's just me ...

No comments: