Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My First Time

Not what you'd assume but a helluva idea for a story. Note to self. Anyway, it appears the bodies have remained buried, as my background check apparently revealed nothing. Not too surprising, as I've spent huge chunks of my life living "off the grid". I had trouble originally getting my ID in NY state because I couldn't prove I was me, at least in the eyes of the DMV. It would have been helpful if I was on parole or an immigrant. Unfortunately being born in the state and not divorced or incarcerated was seen as a drawback.

So I went in for a new hire meeting. I actually had to be somewhere before noon. Savages. We filled out a bunch of forms. Interestingly, my new employers don't issue paychecks. They do direct deposit. You have no choice. You have some flexibility as far as whether you use your savings account or checking or some other debit account. But you don't get a paycheck. It's not a bother, I just find the fact that it's mandatory interesting.

They've been very thorough as far as what goes on in the hiring process. I've always felt informed and always been contacted by phone as to dates and times and what to expect. One thing that was sprung on us during the new hire meeting was a drug test. The forms for the nearby clinic were included in the new hire packet and we were told the drug test had to happen within 24 hours. I decided to get it over with and skip over to the clinic immediately after the session. I'd never had a drug test, but I have pissed on request before. Note to self, story idea #2.

No comments: