Monday, September 12, 2005

We Interrupt The Current Crisis ...

I'm sorry I haven't updated yet on the extreme fucked-up-ness that has befallen one of my co-workers. I was expecting some news before I could safely (for him) relate the story, and I haven't got it yet. So be patient, it's a killer.

In lieu of that juicy news, howzabout I report my experiences now that I've finished my first week on HIV meds. I took the first combination at noon on Monday. By 4:30 I threw it all up, plus my lunch. Of course, I immediately knew what I did wrong. In addition to the prescribed meds, I also took all the other pills I've been taking. Which means I took the meds, plus a multi-vitamin, plus extra C, plus extra zinc, plus my morning dose of crazy pills. All in one great fistfull. I think I was a little pissed off and wanted something symbolic. I was rewarded with vomit on my sneakers. At various points during the day I broke out in a sweat and I was extremely shaky and tired. So I was a little concerned about the midnite dose before bed. I was worried about getting sick in my sleep. The irony of having come this far only to throw up at night and choke to death was an experience I could do without. Not to worry. I tolerated the second dose just fine and slept through the night.

The next day, I pointedly took only the HIV meds at noon. I made sure to slip the multi-vitamins in right after an afternoon snack. Et voila, absolutely no pukishness. I was still experiencing bouts of headaches and sweats however. Oddly, it seems to coincide with my twice daily doses of crazy pills. This was unexpected. I have so far found no information regarding an adverse interaction between Buspirone and HIV meds. But I've taken to spreading my three pill a day 2X dosage of anti-crazy to 2 pills 3X a day. The sweats and headache are tolerable, but I'm hoping temporary.

My appetite is great. It's always a good sign when you're hungry when you oughta be. I'm not sleeping very well, but I have no idea if it's because of the meds. I was experiencing hand tremors the first couple of days, but that seems to have stopped as well. After the first exhausting day at work, I had a few days off and could monitor what was working and what wasn't. By the third day I felt well enough to get to the gym, and I've been in 3 times so far in the last week. If I can manage a half hour of cardio and a half hour of weights my first week on the meds I think I'll be just fine.

Ever the lady, I will skip discussing the dreaded intestinal side effects. Beyond saying yep. But nothing uncontrollable (or without warning, thank god!) and I've got the Immodium at the ready should I need it.

The dose at noon and dose at midnight seems like the perfect schedule for me and I've taken to setting my cell to ring every night at 12am. If I get busy in the club I get my reminder right on time.

I guess, I would have to say that beyond having to take pills all day every day (and the other managers at work have definitely noticed, I make no effort to hide it), it hasn't sucked nearly as bad as I feared. Some of my side effects have disappeared, I'm told most of them will given time. I have some fresh blood tests coming up in a couple of weeks. I wonder if I'll see any results that fast. Hope so. I'm being a good little kool-aid drinker.

No comments: