Monday, May 02, 2005

Jaded?



Two weeks ago. We were doing a metal show. I wish I could tell you who the headliner was. Oh, I just remembered. It was King Diamond. I have no idea who he is. There were several opening acts as well. Things seemed to be going well for most of the night. Just before King Diamond went on I walked out of the restaurant in to the lobby. I came across a skinny white guy in a T-shirt and jeans. He was leaning against the wall clutching a bloody wad of napkins.

"You OK?"

"No. Some guy sucker punched me when I was walking to the bar. My lip is cut and I think I chipped a tooth."

"Oh wow."

"And he broke my nose."

It was then I took an actual good look at his face. His nose was completely crooked in a direction that was completely not natural. It's not as if his nose could possibly be broken. His nose was absolutely and totally broken. It looked awful.

"Oh shit! That looks pretty bad man. Let me fill out an accident report for you."

"OK."

"And I'll get you an ice pack. It's going to swell."

"OK."

I took his information and gave him directions to the best closest emergency room.

I was disturbed by the fact that I could look at a person and not really see him. But not disturbed enough, I guess, to bother relating the story to you until a full two weeks after it happened.

No comments: