Thursday, October 14, 2004

Playing Catch-up



Oy! I'm so behind. How this can be when I haven't started my new job yet is anybody's guess. You'd think I would have nothing to do but post massive missives, but keeping busy is time consuming. Saturday found me joining The Hellcat, his on-again boyfriend and Colby for the bi-annual meeting of the Dachshund Friendship Club in Washington Square Park (seriously). We were too late to participate in the singing of "The Dachs Song" (no, seriously) but we did arrive in time to mix and mingle with other dachshund's and their owners. Lots and lots of dogs. Long hair, short hair, blue eyed and spotted. Some had cute (or humiliating, if you believe dogs experience humiliation) costumes. There was much talk about harness choices (very Folsom Street) and spine injuries (common to the breed).



Afterward, we hit the Greenmarket in Union Square, whereupon I stumbled on a street fair. Unable to resist, I parted ways with The Hellcat & Co. to explore. What I intended with a 20 dollar bill in my pocket was anybody's guess. Shopping isn't always about buying. Learn it. Had a late light brunch on the steps of Union Square, narrowly escaped a street brawl with a drunk panhandler and then had my aforementioned killer workout. On that subject, I know I mention working out often. Enough that you'd think I had this nice bod. Alas, it's just not true. I've never been able to bodybuild. Genetically, I'm just not predisposed for that. I could take supplements and obsessively monitor my diet to transcend my genetic limitations and become "buff" and "cut". But seriously, I've always exercised because it just makes me feel better in general. It keeps me from getting fat. Having fat doesn't bother me (much). Getting fat fer real would depress the fuck out of me. Also, the men in my family have a grand and glorious tradition of heart disease. My cholesterol has always been textbook perfect. I attribute that to regular exercise. Aside from trying to keep my heart from exploding, the only other thing I'm trying to accomplish is to keep my ass off the back of my legs for another year. I like a nice ass. Whether it's on myself or others. A nice ass on a guy is ...well, nice. So I spend 40 minutes on the Stairmaster several times a week just to fight gravity for another month. Another year. It's a battle I'll probably lose eventually but today isn't that day. And oh yeah, exercise is a good way to treat "The HIV".



The new job starts tomorrow. They seem a tad disorganized, but I'll try not to pre-judge. I had an interview for a similar position at another huge bar/restaurant today. If they make me an offer in a few weeks I may seriously consider cutting bait and fishing another pond. I'm mercenary like that. But for now, I'll take what I'm offered. I rang up about two grand in credit card debt but I didn't have to touch my 401k or my brokerage account so I guess I emerge relatively unscathed.

No comments: