Friday, October 15, 2004

The More Things Change

Tonight was day (night) one on the new job. I reported for work on time and immediately began my training shifts. According to the GM, new managers used to train at every position but now "there's no time for that" so you end up hitting the critical positions. Crowd control at the door, ticket checking and box office, closing procedures and later register drops and cash out procedures. In short, nothing I hadn't done before. En route to the club I couldn't help but be bemused by the knowledge that I was once again heading for Times Square for work. All roads seem to keep leading me back there. Not surprising, as I've seemed to have shown an affinity for large, multi-faceted multi-leveled "attraction" businesses. Considering the main concert room can hold anywhere from 700 people to 1100, I'm right in my element. The second show tonight sold a ton of tickets and then the promoters seriously padded their guest lists. When they realized this was going to be a problem, they slashed all their guest lists in half. So 50 percent of the people who believed they were "on the list" and getting in free, as well as all but a fraction of people in town for the CMJ music festival, were informed they weren't getting in. Period. Non negotiable. Good times...

No comments: