Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Incident Report:

At approximately 11 pm on a Sunday I was informed that a customer had been mugged in front of the building and he was injured. I immediately proceeded to the front bar where I observed R--- helping to steady the man assisted by G---. I heard them say that they were going to lead him downstairs where the light was better and he could sit. I returned to the office and got the first aid kit and some clean rags. When I returned to the downstairs outside coat check I observed that he was conscious but bloody/bleeding. I began to gently question him as to what happened, as I began cleaning up the blood in an effort to assess his injuries. (Ed. Note: At this time someone told me to "be careful, he's bleeding". *snicker*)

According to the customer, he had exited the building and was followed out by another patron. As he was walking down the sidewalk our customer had his money out and was counting it. The second patron made a grab for the money and a struggle ensued. Our customer tried to prevent the second patron from taking his money and, in his own words "threw himself away" and consequently, to the ground. The second patron was not deterred and after observing that our customer was injured, stole his money and ran away.

By this time I had determined that our customer had a couple of minor lacerations to his hands and a deep gash directly under his chin. After cleaning him up as best I could I then brought him into the closed downstairs bar so I could bandage him further. I offered on several occasions to call the police or the paramedics. Both offers were repeatedly refused. At this time our customer observed his injuries in the mirror. I urged him to see a doctor or go to the emergency room as it seemed that the cut under his chin would require several stitches. I bandaged him up repeatedly as it was still bleeding and finally managed to close the wound with a butterfly bandage. (Ed. Note: My first butterfly bandage job!) At this time I observed that he might want to remove his shirt and tie as both were covered in blood. He took them off to be thrown away.

After letting our customer relax with a cigarette and a glass of water I inquired as to where he had to go and if he had any money. He informed me he needed to take a train and he was totally robbed of money. I gave him the 10 dollars he said his train ticket would cost. I repeatedly expressed how sorry I was that this had happened and I urged him again to seek professional medical attention as soon as possible. When our customer seemed reasonably well bandaged he expressed he was ready to leave, and thanked me for the kind treatment and attention. He left on his own power, conscious and seemingly steady.


No comments: