Saturday, February 13, 2010

We Fucked Up "We Are The World"

A great idea to make a new recording and video for WATW on the 25th anniversary, and there's no denying the need in Haiti is great. Every dollar helps. But you know there's trouble brewing when Justin Bieber opens the video.

Overall I didn't hate it. And I actually really loved the rap break they dropped in at the 3/4 mark. I thought it added a grittiness that counters what is a pretty saccharine song. But the video as a whole was ruined when they decided to try and 'modernize" it by using that fucking auto-tune. I didn't hate it when I first started hearing it, when artists were using it as a novelty for an effect, like Cher did on "Believe". But now every lame-ass out of tune untrained lazy singer is pushing their recordings through the vocoder and everything I hear now has that slightly "tinny" background that Drives. Me. Wild.

If you had the pleasure of hearing k.d. lang sing "Hallelujah" at the opening ceremonies last night at the Olympics, you would know how gorgeous, trained, unfiltered vocals can move you to tears. If you didn't get the chance, I strongly suggest you watch it here. And then you will know why I hate the auto-tune, and why We Are the World - 25 turned out crappy.

No comments: