Sunday, February 07, 2010

As I Watch The Saints Go Marching In

I'm watching the last half of the Super Bowl, and it appears at this point that New Orleans has won it. Good for them. I wanted to go down to New Orleans after they began getting on their feet after the hurricane. Since I'm in the service and tourist industry I thought booking a hotel room and spending some money in restaurants was just as good a way as donating to some fund. PS - There's a story running in today's NY Post about a State Senator and a Representative who supposedly set up a charity "fund" for Hurricane survivors that collected over $30,000 but only distributed about $1,400. Nobody knows where the rest of it went. I suspect the only things that got funded were some hookers or somebody's new pool.

Anyway, I'm officially celebrating 3 years of sobriety today. "Celebrating" being a relative term when you don't drink. Be that as it may, I've been thinking a lot about the future. The good news in that statement is I now know that I have one, and I'm kind of looking forward to it. If you don't count the part where you whither up and die. But I still have no idea what I want that future to be like. And I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to decide that, or sort of let it unfold. Allowing life to "happen" is not in my nature, but acting on things according to my nature just resulted in 47 fairly painful and frustrating years. So I'm looking for a better way.

No comments: