Wednesday, September 02, 2009

America's Best Dance Crew - Week 4

Thing's are not looking too good for our hometown girls, as Ms. Leiomy has a little bit of a Diva fit and sends the rest of the queens into a tizzy. MTV tries to create something out of nothing and runs a package hinting that Leiomy might leave the show. Honey, this is a gay/transgender dance crew from New York City. There would be something seriously wrong if these queens didn't get on each others gay nerves, and it wouldn't be the first time a queen took herself too seriously and threatened to walk off the stage. Not. Gonna. Happen. You turn that camera on and scream "you're on!" and watch a bitch FLY on to that stage. You know how we do ...

If there was any moment of controversy, it was during the judges' comments, when Lil Mama made remarks about Leiomy and how she "is becoming a woman", and should "act like a lady" but then curiously admonishes her not to "be a bird" which I guess is stupid to English for acting all flighty. A lot of people, including some trans bloggers took offense at Lil Mama, saying that Leiomy's gender change shouldn't enter into the comments at all. There was also quite a bit of grumbling that regardless of gender, Lil Mama was reinforcing outdated gender stereotypes.

I just think she's not at all too bright and should avoid making any comments that deviate far from "y'all wuz tight!"

Lil Mama has since hired someone to write an apology using American English words, and she signed her name to it:

"I would like to clarify anything that was misunderstood from Sunday's show. My remarks were never meant to be disrespectful regarding Leiomy's gender nor offensive to the LGBT community, which has been a community that has supported me in all my endeavors. However, in hindsight, I recognize that my words may have come across as hurtful. I spoke with her privately after the taping to express that it was not my intent to offend her or any member of the transgender community and that I still live for Vogue Evolution."

OK, whatev. Still, I think VE needs to tighten up their routines and come up with some much more difficult choreography or they'll be going home whether they are weave-snatchin' backstage or not.

No comments: