Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sign O' The Times

When I thought that I would be going back to work and needing to hire some front of house staff to do a few upcoming parties I put an ad up on Craigslist. At then end of 48 hours I had close to 450 responses to try and sift through. They kept coming in over a week after the initial date, despite the fact that the interview date in the ad had long since expired. I'm sure it was over 500 people responding.

In the end I couldn't hire any of them because, wonder of wonders, the owners jumped the gun and for whatever reason they were unable to secure permission to open. All the parties scheduled for the end of this month were moved to other locations and no one was hired or re-hired for work. That most definitely includes me.

Supposedly, there will be work available starting in December. Or April.

Last week, my roommate (and her little dog, too!) announced (via text) that she could no longer afford to live in Manhattan, or at least my apartment, and would be moving out on the 15th of December. Obviously, I can't pay the entire rent myself, as I can barely pay my half. So I took out another ad on Craigslist looking for a roommate that would be interested in living in a nice, safe neighborhood in NYC in a fully furnished, reasonably inexpensive ($1000.00) apartment with a middle aged, fairly stable gay man and his dog.

I got a single response from a woman in Italy. Italy!

Time was an ad like that would have generated at least a hundred responses on the very first night. Nobody is moving here and nobody is switching apartments right now. There are no jobs and no money.

I'm kind of screwed.


No comments: