Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm Published, Therefore I Am

I've been working for a few months on a project in my capacity as a member of the Community Advisory Board at the LGTB health center. We are putting out a patient newsletter that will publish quarterly.

I was provided copies of the previous effort and while I was appreciative of the sentiment and the work behind it, I thought it was a woefully amateurish effort, and I was determined we could do better. So much so that I agreed to co-edit the project, which ended up to be a full editor position after my original co-editor dropped out. I submitted the finished issue in early March and it was finally printed, published and distributed this week.

While it's not perfect, and I was hoping for a little more content to it, we had to sacrifice content in order to get the first issue completed and published. IMHO it is a pretty respectable, relatively professional first effort, and I couldn't be happier. I also had absolutely no real experience designing a newsletter, and had to self-teach me Microsoft Publisher to get the job done. I also wrote two small articles and published one of my own photos. Editorial privilege already?

If you want to see the results, you can have a look at the finished product here.

No comments: