Monday, June 23, 2008

When You Get To 170, Sell!

It's official and then some. I currently weigh more than I ever have in my entire life. Ever. I'm tipping the scales at a mind boggling 170 lbs. And believe me, it shows. Almost every pound of my porkiness is right around my waist. At first, I was able to justify putting on some weight because I had quit drinking. I indulged a lot of my food cravings because I thought it was best to give in to something. So I ate the fries I previously ignored. All sandwiches were accompanied by some sort of chip. And I curled up most nights with a dish (or a pint) of ice cream, in my mind preferable to a bottle of vodka. Or wine. Or tequila. And I think I was right for a while. But eventually, the pounds started to pile on, and while you could make a case that part of the weight gain was my body finally filling out now that I wasn't satiating hunger with booze, eventually even I had to admit I was just plain getting fat. Couple that with the fact that I've been terribly busy with work, and in my only real defense I did in fact injure my hand pretty badly several months ago (said injury of course did not keep my off the elliptical trainer, laziness did). The clearest sign of my ever expanding ass was when almost every pair of pants I owned no longer fit, and I've been slowly purchasing new shorts and pants in a 33 or 34 in order to be more comfortable.

Another light bulb illuminated when I finally got my new bike assembled and started to ride. Every hill left me winded, and I had no stamina. A 20 min. ride completely wiped me out. So I started biking to and from work two weeks ago. Not every day but often. Last week I managed to bike to work 4 days. And on several of those days I added at least an hour at the gym. My hand is sufficiently healed to let me work out with weights again. And last week I made it to the gym three days in a row. My knees hurt, and my abs have been burning all day today. I'm sleeping better too. Of course, I'm always hungry now but I'm trying to snack only on fruit and nuts. I'm never without a nutri-grain bar nearby. I've lately become re-enamored with bananas and yogurt.

I weighed in at the gym today, and 170 is where I've drawn the line in the sand. We Shall Grow No Fatter!

No comments: