Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Progress Report

Didn't get much done on my weekend. I've been thinking I've been putting too much pressure on myself to "get things done". As happy as I always am when my weekend or any day off comes, I always spend the entire time rushing from one "appointment" to the next. Granted, some of my appointments consist of tanning or shopping, but the point is I make an effort to schedule a block of time where I need to get this done, before I come home and walk/brush the dog, or buy the week's groceries, or clean the bathroom and tub and then rush out to the gym for an hour. I never seem to be able to make time for a Gay-A meeting lately. Haven't been in weeks.

It all ends up making my day(s) off way more stressful than I know they need to be. And it's a major flaw in my character that I rarely take enough time to just ... be. To experience the world around me. To bubble up to the surface and take stock of what's really happening, and by extension, what's important. Anyway, there's no time for this now ...

So the living room re-do is almost finished. I found these cute candle holder wall sconces at my favorite thrift store two weeks ago. I got the pair for $25, and put them up last week. I added ivory colored tapered candles. Sunday while it was raining I finally sat down and worked on a photo I've been seeing in my head. It's a gorgeous shot of a flowering tree from the park next door. I took it last year in the spring, and it's taken me all this time to figure out how I wanted to use it. I ordered an 11X17 print that should be here in a day or two. It's going between the sconces. I also ordered a cheval mirror that matches the sconces that will go in the corner of the room. I've been a gay man without a full length mirror for the last several months, and only my innate sense of style has carried me through without a serious fashion faux pas. Best not to tempt fate much longer.

The floor is re-stained, the walls and ceiling have been repainted. The only trouble spot remains the wall directly over the couch. It's been repainted, but it can use some serious spackling again and another coat. Plus, I'm temporarily out of ideas for artwork. I did find a very cool service that will transfer digital images to wallpaper. And while I love the idea, I can't wrap my head around anything I've photographed that I would like to see on an entire wall. Besides that, I'm currently trying to decide if the bookcase in the corner might be a little over sized. If I decide to keep it, it needs to be repainted to match the rest of the furniture. When that happens, all my living room furniture will match a single design, probably for the first time in my adult life. I'll take some pictures.

Gotta run ...

No comments: