Saturday, May 17, 2003

Miss me?
I had no idea I was this busy! I really, really need to relax and cut myself some slack. I feel like I don't get enough accomplished in my free time and I suppose you could make a case that I could get more done but seriously, I haven't had time for anything but the most rudimental blog entry. I know, I know, who says that everything I blog at you has to be a gem and trust me, I'm already filing things away for days when I feel like posting and don't have much to say. I'm calling it "blog-fill". (you may steal it) But I do want to shoot for quality over quantity when possible. I believe in that whole less is more concept except when it comes to dick size.
Busy doing what, you ask? Well, the stain/polyurethane of the living room floor continues. It's taking longer than I planned because it is being done in sections. floor.jpg You have to let a section dry a whole day before putting on a second coat or moving to a new section so each area is two days minimum. I frequently have two days to invest but never four and usually it's two days and then no time for a while so..... I long ago learned that things take as long as they take. It ruins the fun if you try to shoehorn a project into a finite amount of time. It gives me a great deal of pleasure in letting a room evolve and become more or less what I first imagined. Also, when you take your time on a room it's usually bubbling beneath the surface all the time and you never know when you might get an idea for an accent or color or a storage idea you hadn't thought of. (Storage being an issue of paramount importance for New Yorkers)" Where the fuck do I keep all my stuff?". I periodically try to turn off my emotions and sift through my things to winnow out what truly needs to be saved versus what I've just been hanging on to. Still, "stuff" piles up. And it must be stored. And as I've gotten older those plastic Kmart black milk crates just don't do it for me. I want to be a right proper mature fag and store my crap in something from Crate and Barrel.

Another running theme with me lately has been shrinking down the furniture. I looked around one day and said to myself, "How can I be living in a three bedroom apartment in New York City with just one other person (yes we have a guest room: smell me) and still be feeling like I'm suffocating all the time?" the answer, I decided, was the furniture. We had too much full sized furniture. Our furniture was the kind you buy if you live in a house in south Buffalo. The kind of house where your living room is off the den. Not a living room/den/dining room occasional bedroom like our living room functions. Our furniture needed to either leave or shrink or transform somehow into more multifunction purposes. Surprisingly, my roommate (one word ot two? fuck!) has been very cooperative with this concept. I guess because I was equally merciless with my own stuff as I was with his. So, chair/ottoman from Fingerhut, disassembled. Round wicker chair (I loath wicker) garbage picked from the neighbors, back to the garbage after all. I will be throwing out the mismatched director's chair and computer chair mismatch chairs.jpg that are functioning as dining room chairs as soon as replacements reveal themselves to me. See, that's what I'm talking about. I intend to replace the chairs only I don't know with what yet. I prefer to haunt various shopping venues and eventually, the right chairs at the right price will appear. It's so much more satisfying that way.

What's this all about? I'm not sure. It feels very important. It seemed crucial that I get a new desk half the size of my old one. Of course now all my stored books are scattered out on the floor. Meaning I either need to install more shelves or re-use a bookcase that is being used to store bed linens. And then the bed linens go.........you see, it's all connected. The circle of life as told through a need for storage.

On a related note. I finally got to the Decorators Show House today on the next to last afternoon. So much to see some of it gor-fucking-geous and some of it too intense even for me. A pepto pink dining room was just waaaaay over the top. The bathrooms made me want to shoot a load on them they were sooooo beautiful. Interestingly, one of the rooms I absolutely hated was this chocolate brown mess of a room with huge chocolate brown slat shades that kept every bit of natural light out of the room. Everything about the room was dark including the sad old queens who had obviously designed the room and were sitting in it, all alone. You have no idea how badly I wanted to let them know somehow that the room is a reflection of them and to be afraid, be very very afraid.

Tomorrow is AIDS walk New York in Central Park at 9AM(!!!!!!!) Christ! can't we raise money for the cause at a more civilized 1, 1:30ish? Perhaps a fundraising brunch or something? Anyway, I promise lots of pictures of me and mine as I give the digicam it's first real workout. I'll bring back shots of cute men with cute butts as well. Whoo-hoo!

No comments: