Friday, May 09, 2003

As the life giving god that is coffee kicks in-

I released my inner lesbian yesterday. My apartment is a work in progress all the time. While I would never be one of those silly fags that spends thousands of dollars on an apartment you rent, I am aware that you can spend small amounts of money (if you're smart enough) to make little additions and adjustments to your living space in order to a)personalize things and make an apartment a home and b) have fun and c)change things around a little and hopefully express yourself creatively. You can spend five dollars on a gallon of paint that somebody had made but didn't want and put a custom color on one wall in an hour. Using that which has been discarded seems to be a running theme in my apartment as well as my life. Unfortunately with my men too.
So I'm on the living room right now. The walls have been re-painted (horizontal stripes, I'm not kidding), the furniture has been moved to a more functional design, the ceiling fan has been revived (big props to my ex) and now it's time to finish the floors and decorate. I bought some shelves and an installation kit and got out my trusty electric screwdriver. A half hour later I have a cute new shelving unit but nothing to put on the top shelf. Fortunately I had haunted my favorite thrift store the day before and they had the cutest candle holder for $18 dollars I was sure hadn't sold yet. It's way cute, no?


If you live in Manhattan and you don't stop in to a branch at least monthly you're an idiot. Retail? What's that? So as long as I had my power tool head on I thought why not start sanding the floor. A dark stain is the plan but there are years of paint dripping and hair dye spots and god only knows what other stains (spooge) that need to be sanded out. In my head I had made this a big project but once I got going with the hand sander it really wasn't bad. Since I'm going with a darker stain I don't need to strip it down completely just take off the top layer. I did 3/4 of the job in just over an hour. My plan was to get up today and finish sanding and put on a first coat of stain/polyurethane (tip: you can buy them together in one can. saves TONS of time), but I had to keep the bar open till 4 last night. (If they are buying drinks I'll stay open. I only close if we're empty or nobody is buying anything or everyone is too drunk.) The fly in the ointment is it takes 8 hrs to dry properly and when are either of us going to be able to stay off the floor for eight hours. So my new plan is to stain in sections so that I may have to move furniture or hop over an area for the day without losing use of the living room. Genius? Or pure EVIL?!?!? I could just wait till Memorial Day weekend when the guy who's dick I no longer suck is out of town but really, I would rather use THAT time to throw my panties out the window and see who comes by and besides, I may want to have a little party for the season finale for Buffy and you know I will go nuts if I'm having people over. It's a maximum stress event.

Get this: I bought that USB cable for my camera and a few days later a package comes. I'm like....that was fast. Turns out, it was from the person I bought the camera from she had forgotten to include the cable. D'oh! An e-mail letting me know would have been nice. Still, I bought the cable the same day the camera arrived. I'm obsessive like that

No comments: