Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Up Early, Your Honor

Ouch. Awake and showered by 7:45 this morning. About to walk Riley and then head downtown to court. Believe it or not, I am still answering summonses from the Mayor's Task Force raid of the restaurant I used to work for. This was back in August right after the murder. If you're new here and have no idea what I'm blabbering about I will link it up later. Suffice it to say I no longer work there and they are no longer open for business so I would like to get these summonses resolved and be on my way. I will let you know the outcome.

UPDATE: Case dismissed! Or rather, an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. I showed up and as expected, the former owner of Spotlight Live and the lawyer that was representing them/me were nowhere to be found. I guess since the venue is well and truly closed and since the summonses were in my name, the owner opted to not show up and dump the problem back in my lap. Fortunately I had anticipated this would happen, and I ended up throwing myself on the mercy of the court. More specifically, I met with a lawyer for the city and stated that I no longer worked there and I was only a lowly manager, with no real say when it came to licenses, permits and sprinkler systems. And I pointed out that answering summonses for a business that closed was a little pointless.

Fortunately, they agreed and decided to offer to dismiss the summonses assuming I don't get any more for the next 6 months. Hence the contemplation of dismissal. This is a good thing, considering at least one of the violations was a misdemeanor and would have gone on my record. Not that I worry about such things, and getting arrested for something interesting is on my list of things to do before I die, but this scenario most definitely didn't qualify. I was thinking it would be more along the lines of sucking off a foreign naval officer in a public park. You know, "interesting".

No comments: