Friday, July 18, 2008

Letter To My Roommate

I just got back from a long walk with Jet. Unfortunately once again I found that your dog had shit in the spare room. Immediately after I returned home, Tails then proceeded to squat in the kitchen and shit again. Not only did it smell (obviously) but it didn’t clean up easily and mashed into the floor, meaning they will need to be mopped again. I don’t think it’s fair that I make time to walk my dog, only to have to come home and clean up dog shit anyway. Especially unfair because he’s not mine to clean up after. This without taking in to account how many times Tails urinates all over the living room and/or the kitchen before I get up in the morning.

I have seen no evidence of late that you are even attempting to walk Tails on any kind of regular basis. I frequently hear you up and around while your dog runs around the house, and have seen that he very often goes to the bathroom everywhere while you are getting ready to leave. Many times it seems that you come and go without taking care of his bathroom needs at all. In addition, twice this week alone Tails was left without any food or water in his bowls. And he could use a bath. All of this is unacceptable.

In addition, I’ve been meaning to speak with you about the number of days you don’t return to the apartment at all. I have not been forced to feed and walk Tails, but I couldn’t realistically provide food and relief for one dog, only to completely ignore the other. That would be worse for me than taking care of them both. Again, I don’t think it’s fair that you put me in that position at all. Besides all of this, Jet still isn’t feeling well, and I need to spend the limited amount of time I am home to see that he gets his medicine, food etc. as well as whatever special attention I have time for.

I’m not going to insist that you lock Tails up when you are gone, as leaving him inside a small room without even an open window in the summer, and without me knowing if he even has food or water, would be horribly cruel. I would suggest that you find a way to work regular walking into his schedule, particularly in the morning. If you are going to leave the house for the day and leave Tails loose, I don’t understand how you can’t find 15 minutes to take him once around the block.

I love Tails and I don’t mind taking him for a walk on occasion and I love sharing treats with the dogs and it’s a pleasure to have them sit with me when I’m home. I also know accidents happen and since Tails is obviously not the least bit housebroken, I don’t plan on wigging out every time there’s a mess. However, I feel that you are taking advantage of my patience and not taking in to consideration my free time. In addition, I would prefer not to come home after a long day at work and have the house reek of dog piss and have to clean up shit. That’s not how I want to live, and if we can’t find a compromise I will be forced to reconsider our living arrangement.

Sorry to write a note, as I hate writing them between roommates, but I had to replace my phone and lost your number or I would have called.

Tom

No comments: