Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Jet Is Sick

I'm worried. His last visit to the vet brought some bad news, and the fear is that there is something wrong with his kidneys. On top of that he came up as anemic (me too!), and he had some sort of bacterial infection. Me and the dog are a walking bug factory. So he went back on the antibiotics for the last couple of weeks. The vet wasn't too alarmed because he was eating all right, going to the bathroom and he wasn't really symptomatic.

Unfortunately right after his visit, he started getting finicky about eating and began throwing up every day or so. He still seemed pretty energetic, eager to go outside etc. Then over the 4th of July weekend he stopped going to the bathroom and refused to eat more than occasionally. He also started retching every few hours or every time he drank from his water. I continued to give him his medication, and he certainly didn't seem worse.

Last night and today he started to scare me. He refused any kind of food, biscuit cheese, anything. He even turned away at the cooked beef liver I made for him the other day, and that he absolutely devoured the day before. Last night after his walk he seemed OK, but then he suddenly threw up on the bed again. He's been gagging all morning and didn't even want to go out this morning for a walk, despite being in all night.

I "forced" him to go outside, which he went along with. It's been ridiculously hot and humid, and he's never liked the heat, but he seemed disinterested in even being outside. After we walked around the park he came back in the building but started walking up the stairs like he was a hundred. After the second set of stairs he just stopped and looked at me like he couldn't make it. I had to scoop him up and carry him the rest of the way. Once he got in the house he kept curling up under chairs and tables, like he was trying to hide. He periodically retched and coughed.

At this point, I'm pretty sure this can't just be the heat. He always gets funky during really humid days but not this bad. I almost called in sick to work to run him in to the vet again, but I decided to leave him in the air conditioning and see how he is when I get home. Of course, now it's all I'm thinking about, and if anything happens to him while I'm at work I'll die myself.

He kind of helped save my life.

No comments: