Wednesday, September 26, 2007

This Is A Test

So I've managed to keep part of my resolutions. I'm going to the gym more than I was and I'm making it to several Gay-A meetings every week. The latter turned out to be really good timing. Up until now, most of my sober experiences have been overwhelmingly positive. Its pretty easy to stick with a program when everything is going well. Harder when things start to go to shit.

Work has been challenging of late. I've been feeling woefully under-appreciated. A lot of the work I do is behind the curtain, keeping things running smoothly. I take care of the weekly payroll for the entire front of house. I not only make sure everyone gets their pay but also their tips and whatever pay they're due for private events and parties. Along with that, when there is a mistake, either mine or through payroll, I have to respond and fix it. For everyone. This involves a lot of record keeping and e-mailing and list making. That's not a complaint. I like to do it. But it's not simple.

I also maintain all the training forms, manuals, floor plans, menu descriptions and other important paperwork for the place. We just went on-line with a promotion through a Broadway related web site. I assembled all the promotion information, menu, reservation information and came up with a method for ringing it in to the system, tracking the vouchers and crediting the staff with a tip for the sales. No one told me to do this. I just knew it needed to be done. I researched, planned, designed and executed a non-alcoholic drink menu. I even wrote the freakin' ridiculously clever copy for god's sake.

That's the kind of thing I do all the time, And again, I actually enjoy it. Weird, I know. In addition, I make sure that the front of house has all the supplies they need to cash out at the end of the night. We recently changed our closing procedure, which can involve thousands of dollars on some nights, and I came up with a simple accounting procedure to insure we would be accurate in reporting to the financial office. None of this is particularly flashy or glamorous. But it is important and would need to be done eventually. I don't operate under the illusion that I'm the only one who could accomplish these things, but I'm certain I get it done as fast and as easily as anyone could.

Which makes the fact that I was just passed over for a promotion a might galling. Up until now, all the management team has been just that, a team. At least on paper, we have been equal partners. And now, one of my co-workers has been promoted to my boss. And to be perfectly honest, it's not the job title that's bugging me. I could care less what you call me as long as it's not "lousy lay". What totally frosts my butt is he's on his second raise in the seven months we've worked together. And I hate feeling jealous about it but I just don't see why. Beyond being in the building when money comes in, I can't point to a single instance where he's done anything beyond agreeing with everyone and being every one's bitch. OK, that was petty. And I don't want to give the impression I don't like the man. I really do. And he works hard. He's competent, cares about what he's doing, puts in a lot of hours, does what he's asked to. But he also has no follow through and a shitty attention to detail. And he has a tendency to react to things rather than act on them. He does what he's asked to and only what he's asked to and never tries to come up with a better plan. He never initiates ideas he merely executes them. In short, he does what he's told. And that, I suspect, is what gets him raises and promotions and not me.

I'm stubborn, opinionated and loud. These days I don't suffer foolishness very well. I focus on the things I think are important to the business, sometimes to the exclusion of what I know would look better, or make me look better. I can be quite charming for clients and customers, but I am absolutely horrible at dealing with promoters and party planners and "artists". If someone sets off my bullshit meter, rather than pay them lip service I shut off and walk away. I'm more than willing to admit when I'm wrong, but I have a tendency to argue and answer back. I'm quite sure it can be annoying.

But in the end, I think what I do for the business is extremely valuable. I've been doing this for quite a while. I've learned a lot, and I don't always think they take advantage of my experience. I run a major NYC restaurant and nightclub with brand new video/computer systems, a high quality sound system and the capacity to hold over 1,000 guests. Promoters and party planners and "artists" need our venue a lot more than we need them. They're like buses. Another one will be along shortly. And the things that they want are not always what's easiest, best for the business, or even realistically possible. Someone has to have the brains and balls to say so. In this case, it's usually me, even though I'm usually ignored and proven right later. And while I take a certain amount of satisfaction in that, I'd rather take home a bigger paycheck and a certain amount of recognition.

No comments: